Diana Rigg (born Enid Diana Elizabeth Rigg, 1938 - 2020). English actress of stage and screen. Her roles include Emma Peel in the TV series The Avengers (1965–1968); Countess Teresa di Vicenzo, wife of James Bond, in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969); Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones (2013–2017); and the title role in Medea in the West End in 1993 followed by Broadway a year later.
Friday, 6 January 2023
1534) Diana Rigg
Rigg made her professional stage debut in 1957 in The Caucasian Chalk Circle and joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1959. She made her Broadway debut in Abelard & Heloise in 1971. Her role as Emma Peel made her a sex symbol. For her role in Medea, both in London and New York, she won the 1994 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play. She was made a CBE in 1988 and a Dame in 1994 for services to drama.
Rigg appeared in numerous TV series and films, playing Helena in A Midsummer Night's Dream (1968); Lady Holiday in The Great Muppet Caper (1981); and Arlena Marshall in Evil Under the Sun (1982). She won the BAFTA TV Award for Best Actress for the BBC miniseries Mother Love (1989) and an Emmy Award for her role as Mrs. Danvers in Rebecca (1997).
- "She had this thick, naturally perfect auburn hair." https://books.google.it/books?id=YQs3EAAAQBAJ&pg=PA20...
- "At least two generations of fans, here and across the pond, had warm reminiscences of the lady with auburn hair, a very proper British accent and a sense of style that seemed to be her constant companion." https://www.newsmax.com/.../rigg-diana/2020/09/10/id/986343/
- "Her deeply distinctive voice, auburn red hair, and towering height (5'8") assured her such dynamic roles as Viola in Twelfth Night and Cordelia in King Lear." https://www.flickr.com/photos/truusbobjantoo/28290891323
- "Miss Rigg, 5ft. 8 1/2in. tall and auburn haired, said..." http://deadline.theavengers.tv/whorigg.html
- "Auburn-haired, dark-eyed, and standing 5ft 8in tall, Diana Rigg joined The Avengers in 1965..." https://www.smh.com.au/.../brilliant-stage-actress-shot...